It’s officially fall, and now that we’re spending less time in the sun, it’s time to correct the visible and nonvisible summer sun damage.
How does the sun damage your skin?
Sunlight in moderation can be good for us, but overexposure can damage the skin both on the surface and at a cellular level. Sunburn, premature aging and hyperpigmentation are ways the sun can visibly damage our skin, but the effects of sun exposure can go even deeper, causing damage on a cellular level and potentially causing skin cancer.
UVB rays provide the energy your skin needs to produce Vitamin D and stimulate the production of melanin, which causes your skin to darken or tan. UVB rays penetrate the outermost layers of skin called the epidermis and can cause sunburns as well as inducing hyperpigmentation. UVB rays fluctuate intensity throughout the day and can still affect you on cloudy days.
UVA rays penetrate the deeper layers of skin called the dermis and can stimulate the production of free radicals. Free radicals induce stress on the skin and can break down collagen and elastin, which keeps our skin smooth and plump. The breakdown of collagen and elastin is when you’ll start to see wrinkles, volume loss and hyperpigmentation. UVA rays are always present during daylight hours, which is why it’s important to wear sunscreen all day, even on cloudy days.
What treatments correct summer sun damage?
Lasers and chemical peels are the best types of treatments to reverse summer damage. We recommend the Fraxel laser, BBL (BroadBand Light) Laser, or the Perfect Peel for the best results.
- Fraxel is a laser treatment that targets aged and sun-damaged skin with microscopic laser columns that penetrate deep into your skin to speed your body’s remodeling of collagen
- Fraxel treats a fraction of tissue at a time, leaving the surrounding tissue intact. This helps to speed the healing process.
- Fraxel resurfaces your skin by stimulating the growth of new, healthy skin cells from the inside out
- We call it the “magic eraser” because it dramatically improves hyperpigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles, uneven texture, and scarring.
- There are about 6 days of redness and peeling after the treatment. During the recovery, you are shedding the old damaged skin cells, and by day 7, you will see your new beautiful skin!
2. “Forever Young” BBL
- BBL stands for “BroadBand Light.” It is the newest form of an IPL Treatment.
- BBL delivers light energy and heat to the skin, which stimulates collagen production.
- There is no downtime after the BBL treatment. Freckles and brown spots will appear darker for about 3 days, then flake off.
- We see the best results with 3-5 BBL treatments.
3. Perfect Derma Peel
- The Perfect Derma Peel is one of the only chemical peels to contain a powerful ingredient called glutathione.
- The Perfect Peel also contains safe acids, antioxidants and peptides.
- The peel takes 30 minutes to apply at the office, then you will receive a take home kit with towlettes to apply at home.
- The peeling process starts about 3 days after initial application and lasts for about 4 days. So the healing process takes about 1 week.
- You will peel away the damaged skin to reveal smoother, more even skin!
The Fraxel and Perfect Peel are both 20% off in October. Call/text 816-795-5262 to book now!